[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Mopar 10 Registry • View topic - New Owner, What performance can I expect and what upgrades

Mopar 10 Registry

The few, the proud, the Mopar 10s.
Home Page FAQ Team Search
  Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 pm 

Hi Everyone,
Im new to the Mopar registry and to the late model Challengers.
I have just purchased #246. Its a red stripe auto.
I am having it shipped to New Zealand so probably will be the only Mopar 10 owner in the Southern Hemisphere but you never know there may be others down here.
It will still be about 2-3 months before I get it so ... waiting patiently.

Big thing for me is its very hard to find accurate data on certain things.
Can anyone give me a good run down on average 1/4 mile times for these cars.
I will race it occasionally and have seen everything recorded from a embarrassing 15.4 @ 90mph to 13.3.
This is in standard form. My car is still stock so looking at ideas here.
Where I race there are a lot of late model mustangs and older cars as well. I don't want to be beaten by Mustangs! So far I dont believe anyone else will be racing a Challenger so I would be flying the Mopar Flag so to speak.

Also what are the best modifications to do.
I have read:
Cat back exhaust
Supercharge (whats the best that would still look good under the hood and look factory using cold air box or is that no longer relevant)
Are diff ration changes recommended?
Cam changes?
My current car is a 1970 Mercury Cougar. It goes quite well and drives nicely, will do 12.8 in the 1/4
So Im old school here but as you can see have moved with the times so to speak.
Really looking for help and advice here so all input welcomed.
Where do you get the best bang for the buck?

What are do's and don'ts? And in this I mean modifications, care of the car, servicing etc.

I will be driving mine when ever I can and are still considering it as a daily driver but wont make that decision until I have it with the keys in my hand :D :D

Previous cars have been.
1st car at 16, 1967 Chev Impala, 1957 Chev, 1970 Dodge Challenger, 1970 Mercury Cougar (current) and soon to arrive Mopar 10. :D

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

Thanks, Vince.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:27 am 

Vince, welcome aboard! I don't have all the cars accounted for (although that is the goal), but you are definitely the first I know to be taking an M10 to New Zealand...You will definitely enjoy the car and the car will definitely garner some attention.

That range for 1/4 mile times is probably pretty accurate...I say that because the 15s are either from guys that can't drive, or more likely higher altitude or bad air. I've had a few tell me they click off 13s at sea level (Houston, New Jersey, etc). I'm in Amarillo, Texas and our track isn't exactly the greatest (I spin more at the track than on the street, lol) but I was babying the car at the time and was running 14s (the motor was right around 500 miles etc...super soft launch, and going from a stand still). I have been over to Noble, which has a much better track and air, but go figure, the show I was at was during a record high temp span...the show was at night and the asphalt was 109 right at sunset. I think I ran mid 14s there, but also wasn't cutting good lights. Both of those runs were all box stock from the factory with no additional performance mods.

I have since done a few things more to the car (catback, tuner, etc) and we had a dyno day in September. I put out 348 HP, 372 TQ. I wasn't the one behind the wheel and since I was filming for the club, I was the last to go (heat of the day).

I'm not real sure the catbacks add much, but since you are an Auto, and based on your past lineage, you will want to go that route to add some bark to the car...you will not be happy with the lack of an exhaust note. The cars don't sound bad full throttle with the stock exhaust, but at an idle you won't know the car is running. Plus, the factory auto exhaust is nuts...huge suitcase muffler in the middle with two giant resonators in the rear...they actually bend up and recess behind the rear side markers...Even if your gain for power is minimal, shedding the weight and the sound is worth it. As for brands, it comes down to personal taste etc. If there are any other 5.7s down there (ie Rams etc) you might listen to them...the sound will be similar.

In terms of the motor, it depends what your goals are. Magnuson is a proven performer and looks quite well imo. A guy in the club just put one on his 5.7 B5 and did it in his garage over the course of a weekend (working very slow). If you would be content with that I would leave the internals as is...

If you want to do a full build, I'd just get a stroker with a bottom end that can handle more boost. The prices for built motors are crazy and sadly, the parts are super expensive as well...so even if you have a great machinist, the cost adds up fast. The late models definitely aren't as budget friendly as the LA/B/RB for internals.

You could probably pace yourself...Start researching sound clips on YouTube or locally...find an exhaust note you like and order it. Get it and a tune installed and then decide if you want to pull the trigger on the supercharger or do a more intensive build.

Several have started doing a 392 cam swap fwiw...

I think the autos would definitely benefit from more rear gear for drag racing...Only tradeoff will be your MPG if that is a concern. You wouldn't have to go too crazy...even something in the 3.55-3.73 range would make you pull any similar cars pretty easy. I can't remember the exact ratios for the new diffs, I'm pretty old school myself.

Obviously, you are getting a special car. If you decide to put a shaker on it, you'd want to keep the hood...My thoughts are if you want to "upgrade" it, just pull the stock parts and set them aside. You could even do that with the factory 5.7 if you wind up shipping in a built stroker. I've done a lot of stuff to my car, but I did it all with the realization if I ever wanted to go back to "stock" I could do so, and with parts in mint condition.

I'm also not sure how big into stereos you are, but if your car has the 130 4 Speaker like mine did it flat out sucks. I've griped at Chrysler about it. If you got the 230 6 Speaker etc you should be fine, unless you are more of an audiophile. This is one of those deals that I replaced, kept the factory stuff, but can never see myself putting it back in...I kept the factory exhaust as well, but it'll be a cold day in hell before it goes up under my M10 again.

If you think along those lines, just be smart, keep the stuff you replace, and in the event you find the car is a hot ticket item years down the road you will have all the stuff :D

One last note, if the previous owner hasn't mentioned the owner's kit etc, please hit them up about it. Some of the stuff will have their name on it, but you'd still want it and they would have no use for it without the car.

Definitely keep us posted on your M10 and what all you wind up doing...As well as the brand-x slaughtering you do. I'm kind of bummed to hear there are crud tons of mustangs down that way too...I thought it was an American problem, lol 8-)

I have several sound clips up on LoneStarMopars and AmarilloAreaMopars YouTube Channels if it helps you out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:32 pm 

Hi Texas Stroker,

Thanks for all the advice.
Yes I am definitely looking forward to the car arriving. About 2-3 months.
Its always been my dream car and I regret selling the 70 440 Challenger I had (then again I regret selling my 57 Chevy also) but we do these things. I always said, if I had the opprotunity to go back in time I would get a new one. Didn't have to go back in time, it time warped for us and thats awesome :D

I'm probably just looking at taking things slow as far as mods go.
Enjoy the car. Just as long as is not pig slow Ill be happy. (sorry 15's would be an embarrassment).
I have already purchased a diablo intune programmer that will come with the car and have been advised by the car sales it already has a good cat back system on it so that makes me happy.

I will still have the Cougar for now so if need be can always shut the Mustang's down with that (and most other things in my class). It annoys the heck out of them.
Yeah a lot of Mustangs and now Camaro's over here. Its unfortunate to some degree as import laws were originally designed for the car enthusiast (like me) but car sales found a loop hole and have made a killing importing them. They are however very popular and New Zealand has always had a very strong following for American cars and especially hot rods and muscle cars. A lot of people buy them for show to say "I have a Mustang" etc but each to thier own. Challengers are very popular to but most of them are the SRT8's.
I love this car because it is special.

Spending plenty of time researching (I have time on my side).
I will definitely keep all original parts aside if I remove any. Not for re sale sake but it is a special car and one day will be on sold. So just like me, I think the next owner would appreciate it.
I have been dealing with Sherry at Bosak Dodge. She has been fantastic to deal with and very helpful.
I am also very lucky as the car was originally sold through Bosak Dodge so they have all the original documentation that went with the car. This includes a special presentation folder with photos of delivery etc. Once again, Sherry has been outstanding. The only thing I can't get is the car cover unfortunately.
Don't forget I am buying this blind so to speak. I have never driven it, only seen it in photos so trust is important and Sherry gained that very quickly from me.
I was also talking with another car sales at the same time as they had a M10 also and the person I was dealing with was good but he put me onto his sales manager for internet purchases. Let me just say I didn't go with them obviously and that guy cost them the sale. He was no where near as helpful.

Stereo ... well no matter what it has it will be better than the old Cougar but I do hear what you are saying. I'm not sure what it has in it. Its definitely going to be full of surprises.

I've also read your notes on the hood struts so have ordered those already so they will arrive with the car.

I will keep you updated and love the site.
Thanks for your help

Happy Crusin :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:40 am 

Awesome, sounds like a plan! Bosak is well known for their dealer customs...One of the guys there was on the forum here...He had the M10 that Hurst converted...He can probably vouch for your car as well, although it sounds like Sherry is doing a great job.

The car cover is cool, but to be honest, mine is still in the box...The way it is sealed you can tell it is ready to pop out. I think you can get one from Dodge that will be identical save the Mopar 10 logo.

The hood struts will be a huge asset for shows and servicing...The hood is aluminum and super light, but the prop rod doesn't really fit with the styling imo...That said, it is nice to keep in the event of strut failure etc.

I have several guys in AAM that have built cars and sold them to Australians. Apparently a lot of them fly over in the summer, cruise route 66, and then ship the cars home when they hit California.

If you ever happen to come across any other M10 Owners down there, please spread the word on the site!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:04 pm 

Yeah its a big thing to do the holiday and bring back a car to pay for it.
I'm doing it the other way around. Getting the car then will hopefully do the holiday in a few more years.

I am hoping no one else brings a M10 down under. Kind of nice to be the only one.
Then again I am sure once people see it in the flesh others will be bought.
I will spread the word.

I really enjoy your posts and have gotten alot out of them so keep them comming.
I will post dyno 1/4 mile results once I get them and keep things up to date.
Great site. Hope more people make use of it.

Thanks,
Vince.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:53 am 

Sorry for the slow reply...

I was busy with 2 Birthdays (one being my own!), the Super Bowl, and then just really cold weather and a poor internet connection.

I would still think the M10 is probably flying under the radar down your direction, BUT they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so there is a good chance someone will see your M10 and look towards getting their own brought in...I will keep my fingers crossed that is not the case...being the ONLY one will really be something. Not a lot of M10s look to be driven regularly, so they are still relatively unknown even here in the states.

Thanks...I really wish more folks would get on the site as well...issue I have is that this one has to be done almost entirely online...It is so rare to find another M10 "in person" you can't really work the ground. The goal remains to account for all 500 US and 100 Canadian.

If you are up for more traffic I also run LoneStarMopars.com and AmarilloAreaMopars.com

In fact, if you plan on doing the Route 66 cruise you should sign up on AAM anyway...You'll pass right thru and almost 99% of the people stop at the Big Texan on the east side of town...If it lines up on a weekend or evening I can probably get a lot of cars out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:02 pm 

I'm still waiting on the car to leave the dealership.
Sherry at Bosak has been awesome, keeping me up to date but snow blizzards are hampering transport.
Hopefully it will leave this week and be in LA by early next week.
Then its to be loaded in the container and ready for shipping.
It seems like its taking forever but I know the wait will be worth while.
How big an improvement is the handling package that comes with the car?
I am trying to find information on this but it seems limited.

I'm not at a total loss.
I am still driving plenty of miles in my 1970 Mercury Cougar so smiles for miles are always very big.
I'm going to check your other sites.
Thanks again.
Will be back with further updates as they happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:57 am 

The biggest perk is the rear strut brace bar...

Not many are willing to sacrifice the trunk space, or pay to have something that isn't "seen" installed.

I've sadly only driven Chally's that were modified so I can't speak for certain...

However, the one other Challenger owner that has driven mine has a MP Front Strut Tower Brace, Eibachs, and SRT sways and said that the M10 is as tight as his car. Keep in mind that is just one guy's opinion.

The car, in my opinion, handles like it is on rails...I'm always encouraged to throw it into the corners to see how it does...I've yet to be disappointed and I'm not dead yet :mrgreen:

The rear brace really doesn't take up much space, but some don't like the design...The only issue for me is that if you ever have to pop the trunk manually you have to go thru the brace...luckily the handle glows in the dark. There is no "key" on the trunk lid so if your battery is dead your only access is the front doors...if you didn't know, the battery isn't under the hood...it is in the trunk...No power=no trunk access...It is quite the pita, but a great way to involve children, lol.

I think they have modified the design of the brace, but I feel like the original was superior due to the mounting and triangulation. It is like a roll cage...you can do it right for rigidity and safety, or you can "tweak" it for aesthetics at the cost of performance. I like to err on the side of performance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 am 

Update time.
Car was delivered to LA on the 17th Feb. It is now in a container and on its way to New Zealand.
I am not sure how long this will take but I wish it was here already.
The garage has been re organised so it has a spot beside the 70 Cougar waiting for it. Still not sure if I will sell the old Cougar as it goes very well.
Lots of research has been done and I am about to order the 180deg thermostat for it, a set of Mopar lowering springs (drops 1 inch from what I have found out) or are the Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs better as apparently they drop it 1.5 inch. We have bumpy roads here so drive ability is crucial. To low will not be good. I don't mind a firm ride but not a hard ride.
I am also going to put a 275/45/20 rear tyres on it.
Later I will go with long tube headers and when I can maybe a Magnuson SC. These look and perform good from what I can tell with out having to upgrade internals.
The idea is not to spend a fortune modifying it but a bit of enhancing is always good.
Ill be taking your advice and anything that comes off will be nicely put aside just in-case for the future.

Once again I want to thank Sherry at Bosak Dodge. She has been outstanding in helping me with this purchase.

Ill keep with the updates as I get them.

Happy Crusin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:04 pm 

If you want the MP Springs, let me give you a guy in the DFW area's info as he'll sell them to you at a discount...mention you are in Lone Star Mopars. I'm not sure how it would pan out with shipping though.

I've never been in an M10 with Mopar lowering springs, but the stance looks good...

I have been and seen several Challenger R/Ts on Eibachs and everyone seems happy.

One thing to note is the STP (Super Track Pack) on these cars...We have Nivomats (self levelling shocks) out back. Some people have just swapped springs with those in, but it can't be the right way to about it, and would be fighting the drop.

This means where a standard R/T can spend $200 on 4 springs and get a great drop...we have to shell out for springs and shocks etc...Not a huge increase, but it is significant.

The only reason I have held out is for ET reasons...and I have never found documentation from anyone with before/after performance. If the factory thinks the Nivomats help plant the rear better I would like to see a stock 5.7's times with that and then again with the lowering springs etc.

I was disappointed the cars didn't come from the factory with MP Coilover or Lowering Springs though...

I think their logic was the same as the lack of an exhaust...some people might think the car is too loud and too low. Sucks for the 600 of us with the cars as I don't think that would have been anything other than a selling point.

I had originally planned on coil overs, but my friend in DFW said all the guys there that had them, had to crank them all the way up to avoid bottoming out etc...and that kind of defeats the purpose.

Hope that helps a little...had to compose this over 3 separate interruptions, lol.

Regardless of any gains or losses in quarter mile performance, it should handle better and maybe most importantly it kills off the quarter-tire gap in the rear...which is pretty noticeable on the M10s with the Nivomats.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next