[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Lone Star Mopars • View topic - Dodge Challenger Door Panel and Front Speaker Removal

Lone Star Mopars

Welcome to the Mopar Rebellion!
Home Page FAQ Team Search
  Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 6 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 3 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 am 

Here is the article for more info:
http://www.lonestarmopars.com/news/inde ... -mopartech

Here are some vids:

Door Panel Removal

Front Speaker Removal

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
Founder, Lone Star Mopars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:54 pm 

Hey Texas,

Just want to say thanks for the great write up and vids regarding the speaker upgrades. My car is also cursed with the 4 speaker system and I want to upgrade it. I have a question for you:

Does the head unit have enough juice to make upgrading to the Kappas worthwhile? I notice you used an amp, which I don't want to get involved with. Was thinking of just getting one of those speaker wire fittings that split the wiring in two and connect the speaker that way. What am I losing by not using an amp? Is it just volume or will the sound still suck? Will the speakers sound louder than stock without the amp? Pretty much a novice when it comes to the stereo stuff and don't think I could pull off an integrated amp into the system.

Thanks,
Vin

Attachments:
chall resized.jpg
chall resized.jpg [ 221.76 KiB | Viewed 8399 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:35 pm 

Hey Vin...

Thanks!

I feel for you on the 130 4 Speaker set up. The stereo and exhaust remain my two favorite mods/upgrades to the car...I get to enjoy both of them every time I drive!

In all honesty, pretty much anything you throw in the car will sound better than the factory speakers...if you pull them out yourself, you will be amazed at how crappy they are in our cars. The 6 Speaker guys get decent speakers (I had to feature the from 6x9s in a vid since I was forced to buy them to get the door pod to modify), but they are still nothing to write home about.

That said, the money you would spend on the Kappas (or any good speaker) is lost with the factory head unit...it is very lackluster itself.

Without running an amp, the best bang for your buck would be some regular old Infinity 6x9s (my preference...everyone's taste varies). You can pick up the speaker adapters that will let you keep the factory plug and "Y" the wires from there. You won't be out much money on that end. However, upgrading to any aftermarket head unit will deliver a much better sound and really help you appreciate the new speakers.

That said, to get a killer sound that you can actually enjoy, you can't beat a new head unit, speakers, and amp.

It really isn't all that hard to figure out...I will help where I can.

That said, if you are leery of it, I would go in stages. As mentioned, anything (even the cheap pyle or Pioneers at Walmart) should be a decent upgrade over these speakers. If money is tight start with the fronts...I'd go with a mid-price speaker in your brand of choice. With the door panel off you can plug it in and see how you like it. If it is an improvement you are content with, button everything back up. If it is far from your anticipated outcome you will need to supplement it somehow...The first step would be an amp, but I think you'd get more bang for your buck (and enjoyment) with an aftermarket head unit. You'll get more power to the speakers, pre-outs, outlets for a backup camera, lots of potential, and have a really nice interface in your Chally. From there, you can easily go on to add an amp, subs, etc.

You will love getting in your Challenger and having the 7" screen. You can put custom backgrounds up...have animations with your music, play from SD, USB, or iPod, and can even roll movies. It is mind boggling they put such a crappy system in a Challenger. Not sure you want to go that route, but try the speakers first and then consider the head unit...While the amp and a better set of speakers would work, it is much easier to wire up power and accessories to the aftermarket unit...Which is why I'd go there BEFORE the amp...Plus, while the amp gives great depth, you will actually see and love the head unit every time you drive.

So, long story short...pull your door panels and try some mid-field speakers. If you get top of the line stuff like the Kappas or a component set, they will be crippled by the headunit and you would have been better off saving $200 on the stage 1 stuff. If that works, great...you're out maybe $100 max and just a little time.

If you want more, consider returning the speakers (or selling them)...Pick out your aftermarket head unit, and some great speakers that will respond to an amp. They'll sound good with the head unit, but you have the option of really bringing them to life with the amp. Down the road you can easily add new toys to the AV system: components, rear speakers, amp, subs, back up cam etc.

If you've got a good stereo shop locally they should have demos of the speakers they carry...shop around. Where I love the Kappa, you might like Kicker etc. The front speaker install is very easy...nothing to be scared of...If you find a good deal locally, run with it...If you hate them, you can prob swap them out. Online Crutchfield, Sonic, and Amazon are all good bets.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions...Where are you at? I'd be glad to help if possible. Chally looks great!

Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
Founder, Lone Star Mopars

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 3 posts ]